Re: [LAU] CC for dummies

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 13 2010 - 16:00:18 EET

On Saturday 13 March 2010 05:29:29 Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't understand the CC license at all.

There is no cc license. This is one of the problems with how a lot of people
speak about the issue.

There are multiple cc licenses and the behave quite differently.

Which did you have in mind?

> I could dig through a jungle
> starting with google, and I *have* read and understood the basics
> regarding CC. I'm hoping for some personal experiences in plain
> language. Here goes:

Let's take cc BY-SA which is the closest one they have to the GPL and recast
the questions in terms of computer code:

> 1) What's the advantages for the artist with CC compared to "All rights
> reserved".

1) What's the advantages for the programmer with the GPL compared to "All
rights reserved".

> 2) What's the disadvantages for the artist with CC compared to "All
> rights reserved".

2) What's the disadvantages for the programmer with the GPL compared to "All
rights reserved".

> 3) What's the advantages for the consumer with CC compared to "All
> rights reserved".

3) What's the advantages for the consumer with the GPL compared to "All
rights reserved".

> I assume there's no disadvantages for the customer with CC...

I assume there's no disadvantages for the customer with the GPL.

> Thanks in advance for any input.

You could perhaps do the same thing with cc BY and the BSD.

I hope this may help with your thinking and with further questions.

all the best,

drew