Re: [LAU] converting midi file to sheet music problems

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 14 2010 - 09:28:57 EET

david wrote:
> robert lazarski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The following midi file is using 3 channels - (1) piano , (2) bass ,
>> (10) drums - and I want to create sheet music for only the piano part:
>>
>> http://braziloutsource.com/random/poinciana.mid
>>
>> I tried the following lilypond commands, but I only get the bass clef
>> in the created "poinciana-converted.pdf" file, as well as lots of
>> warnings in the last command:
>>
>> midi2ly poinciana.mid -opoinciana.ly
>> convert-ly poinciana.ly > poinciana-converted.ly
>> lilypond poinciana-converted.ly
>>
>> I tried removing the bass and drums channels in seq24, but opening the
>> file gives me a "Unsupported MIDI format detected: 0" error.
>>
>> Please help.
>
> Try Rosegarden. I imported the MIDI into Rosegard 1.7.0, deleted the
> bass and drum tracks, then selected the Preview with Lilypond option and
> got fine looking sheet music (albeit the whole track on a single stave).
> As a pianist, I'd want to split it into the standard bass and treble
> staff, though.

I was able to split the segment at middle C using RG's Segments > Split
> Split on Pitch option, set to use Treble and Bass Clef. You could
experiment with the split point if needed. Then I selected the segments
(it keeps them linked), cut them, and pasted them back. That broke their
linking and I was able to drag the lower segment to the track below and
got a very usable piece of sheet music.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden