Re: [LAU] converting midi file to sheet music problems

From: robert lazarski <robertlazarski@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 14 2010 - 16:46:00 EET

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 4:28 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> david wrote:
>>
>> Try Rosegarden. I imported the MIDI into Rosegard 1.7.0, deleted the
>> bass and drum tracks, then selected the Preview with Lilypond option and
>> got fine looking sheet music (albeit the whole track on a single stave).
>> As a pianist, I'd want to split it into the standard bass and treble
>> staff, though.

Hmm, in RG 1.7.3 and the lilypond-2.12.3 (the latest stable version) I
got some lilypond sustainUp / sustainDown errors after importing the
midi file and removing the bass and drums tracks. Upgrading to RG
10.02 seemed to help.

> I was able to split the segment at middle C using RG's Segments > Split
> > Split on Pitch option, set to use Treble and Bass Clef. You could
> experiment with the split point if needed.

That created a "piano upper" segment and a "piano lower" segment on
the same midi track. With you so far...

> Then I selected the segments
> (it keeps them linked), cut them, and pasted them back. That broke their
> linking and I was able to drag the lower segment to the track below and
> got a very usable piece of sheet music.

I'm not parsing what you mean by "Then I selected the segments
 (it keeps them linked), cut them, and pasted them back." I tried
cutting and pasting the piano upper and lower segments but I got
either all bass clefs or all treble clefs. Can you clarify further
please. Thanks!

- R