[LAU] noobie learning about recording and 64 studio....

From: Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 13:57:16 EET

Dear folks,

I have box with Debian Lenny on an ATA disk and 64 studio sat on a second SATA drive. It is an AMD 64 3200 machine with 512 MB RAM. I could get a much more powerful computer if necessary at some point. I also have an M-Audio Delta 1010 that I have not used yet and a Seck 12 8 2 mixing desk. I also have a Roland GR-1 guitar synthesiser that I guess could drive Rosegarden in some way in theory but I would need a MIDI to USB cable to do it most likely.

I am now reading the 64 studio audio manual and learning to use the LinuxSampler program. I need to buy a music keyboard probably with a USB output on it from somewhere to drive the sampler and record something in Rosegarden.

I am trying to understand what some of the programs do here and what the relationship between them is. Ardour seems to be a program that is equivalent to a multitrack tape recorder in the old days. Jack seems to be a program that connects to audio from the outside world like the M Audio Delta 1010 and files produced by synthesisers etc. So I assume that if I would record myself playing my electric guitar through a microphone into the Seck mixing desk I have and then into the Delta 1010, that the digitally sampled sound would go into the PC and through JACK before it got recorded e.g. in Ardour......

Or something like that. I could then record a bunch of tracks with the guitar synthesiser driving Rosegarden (?) and maybe create a drum track with Hydrogen. I could then mix them all down to make a master CD or whatever with Jamin.

Maybe I haven't quite got it right here.... Please correct me a bit.

What does Audacity do? Would it be helpful in my above recording activity?
What does Qsynth do that ZynAddSubFX doesn't?

the old GR-1 guitar synthesiser I have has a synthesiser and a sequencer in it. The sequencer I think just programmed the synthesiser to play sounds within a given time frame as I recall it when I used it many years ago. Based on that experience, I assume that Rosegarden which is supposed to be a MIDI sequencer is software that can drive synthesisers etc according to a program that you enter into it.

What is the difference between Jamin and GCDMaster and also between Timemachine and Ardour?

I used to use a Portastudio when I was a kid. The kit I have now could make infinitely superior recordings at least in principle. You could record some enormous number of overdubs and parallel tracks in a computer I guess. I could even record a live drummer with a dozen microphones and mix them down to 8 channels in the Seck Desk and record those simultaneously on the PC. I could then record guitar and vocal tracks on top of that as overdubs and then a bunch of synthesiser stuff. Presumably the Jamin program can master some huge number of simultaneous tracks. The Delta 1010 seems to have tremendous signal to noise ratio and frequency response capability so it seems that now the quality of the recording is based the around the microphones and preamps you have etc...

It seems to be like having a 64 or 128 track tape recorder connected to a highly flexible set of sequencers and synthesisers plus a whole load of effects processing like equalisation and digital delay that improve drum and vocal sounds with ace signal to noise, frequency response and the opportunity to avoid distortion etc with a bit of effort, but actually less difficulty than the old Portastudio because the new tools are much better ones.

Regards

Michael Fothergill