Re: [LAU] Linux mastering services?

From: Ronald Stewart <ronaldjstewart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 01:57:04 EEST

Hi, Ron here....

Why not use Mike's great work with LinuxDSP?

Also, I mastered one of my remixes both on Indamixx AND a 10,000.00 Neve Pre
and although the Neve 'excited' the track and made for a bit of hearing
deeper sounds in the track it was hardly a 10 grand experience.
(Not advocating Indamixx here just noting my experience).

If I can provide another bit of input. I am not trying to sell you on the
Waves plugin L316 but I know for a fact that many super engineers (one's
producing for Eminem, Dre, 50Cent) and mastering facilities run this one
plugin on the master to achieve the 'mastered' result. It's more of a tips
and tricks thing or secret weapon for the guys who don't want you to know
what is really going on :) I guess the secret is out!

Lastly, I don't know if he is still in the biz but when we were cutting
records in the 90's for record labels, I was fortunate to work with Roger
Siebel or Seibel in Phoenix AZ and this guy was amazing!!! When we would
remix a track for like Sony and he would master it and the remix vinyl would
sound so much better that many DJ's would not play the original vinyl but
opt for our remix version because of the quality of the mastering, and
sometimes these were old school hip hop tracks that were pretty dirty/gritty
to begin with. Seibel Mastering was the facility and Roger was always very
fair. He is a lover of the art first.

Thank you

Ronald Stewart
Creative Director