Re: [LAU] Linux mastering services?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 02:13:03 EEST

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 03:57:04PM -0700, Ronald Stewart wrote:
> Hi, Ron here....
>
> Why not use Mike's great work with LinuxDSP?
>
> Also, I mastered one of my remixes both on Indamixx AND a 10,000.00 Neve Pre
> and although the Neve 'excited' the track and made for a bit of hearing
> deeper sounds in the track it was hardly a 10 grand experience.
> (Not advocating Indamixx here just noting my experience).
>
> If I can provide another bit of input. I am not trying to sell you on the
> Waves plugin L316 but I know for a fact that many super engineers (one's
> producing for Eminem, Dre, 50Cent) and mastering facilities run this one
> plugin on the master to achieve the 'mastered' result. It's more of a tips
> and tricks thing or secret weapon for the guys who don't want you to know
> what is really going on :) I guess the secret is out!
>
> Lastly, I don't know if he is still in the biz but when we were cutting
> records in the 90's for record labels, I was fortunate to work with Roger
> Siebel or Seibel in Phoenix AZ and this guy was amazing!!! When we would
> remix a track for like Sony and he would master it and the remix vinyl would
> sound so much better that many DJ's would not play the original vinyl but
> opt for our remix version because of the quality of the mastering, and
> sometimes these were old school hip hop tracks that were pretty dirty/gritty
> to begin with. Seibel Mastering was the facility and Roger was always very
> fair. He is a lover of the art first.

What, exactly, changes were present and noticeable in the sound so good? What is it that the plugin does to the audio that makes it sound like "a hit". Just because Eminiem an Dr. Dre use it-- reportedly-- doesn't mean it's not going to work so well on stuff that isn't hip-hop, etc etc. At least not in my hands, knowing nothing about mastering.

So I'm basically looking for an engineer who will "open source" master: do the work using JAMIN or whatever, give me the files used (i.e. *.jam settings), and actually explain to me in some understandable format (and which my ears can hear) what improvements, if any, he or she made to the tracks, and why.

-ken