Re: [LAU] vorbis support in lame is deprecated

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 03:26:55 EEST

Excerpts from Jörn Nettingsmeier's message of 2010-04-07 02:16:54 +0200:
> On 04/07/2010 12:19 AM, James Morris wrote:
> >
> > $ lame -h --preset cd --ogginput azr3.ogg azr3.mp3
> > sorry, vorbis support in LAME is deprecated.
> >
> > what's with that? are they just being awkward?
>
> well, lame ain't an mp3 encoder, and it sure as hell ain't an ogg vorbis
> encoder, either. no harm in focusing on not doing what you don't do best.
>
> what's wrong with oggenc?

Uhm, lame IS an mp3 encoder, that's the only thing it is,
but it's not a vorbis decoder.

Deprecated usually means it will still work, but you should start
looking for another way to decode vorbis files.
I don't know why they chose to remove vorbis decoding capabilities but I
wonder why it was there in the first place.