Re: [LAU] Mastered now; comments?

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 11:42:21 EEST

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your feedback and help!
>
> I made a bunch of fixes suggested here, and also ran it through JAMIN.
>
> Anyone hear anything glaringly broken in either of these?
>
> http://lahar.s3.amazonaws.com/scratchmixes-basic/foie-A.ogg
>
> http://lahar.s3.amazonaws.com/scratchmixes-basic/ginseng-A.ogg

These are just so professional-sounding.. Really nice! I would be
interested to hear who played what instruments, and how you recorded
it.

I listened on some cheapo Koss headphones ("the plug"). First song
sounded very light with good separation of the instruments. The only
thing I wondered about was the snare - at one part when it plays on
its own (2:28) it sounds pretty thin. Maybe like it had had lots of EQ
added with mids/bass cut out? Also is there an xrun around 2:50-2:51?
Maybe this is just my imagination though..

The snare on the second one sounded much better. I wonder if the
second song is a little bass-heavy though - maybe the bass guitar
could be eq'd so it doesn't overlap with the bass drum so much? It
sounds great on my headphones - but I know when that's the case and I
move over to my hifi it can sound really over the top and boomy.

Please keep in mind that I have no background in sound
engineering/mixing or any of that stuff, so these points are probably
completely wrong. Just giving personal opinion on the sound using some
very low-end playback cans!

I think these are, two really fantastic recordings - would not sound
out of place on any radio station/commercial CD.

James