Re: [LAU] Mastered now; comments?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2010 - 04:05:48 EEST

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 09:42 +0100, James Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for your feedback and help!
> >
> > I made a bunch of fixes suggested here, and also ran it through JAMIN.
> >
> > Anyone hear anything glaringly broken in either of these?
> >
> > http://lahar.s3.amazonaws.com/scratchmixes-basic/foie-A.ogg
> >
> > http://lahar.s3.amazonaws.com/scratchmixes-basic/ginseng-A.ogg
> >

> These are just so professional-sounding.. Really nice! I would be
> interested to hear who played what instruments, and how you recorded
> it.
>
> I listened on some cheapo Koss headphones ("the plug"). First song
> sounded very light with good separation of the instruments. The only
> thing I wondered about was the snare - at one part when it plays on
> its own (2:28) it sounds pretty thin. Maybe like it had had lots of EQ
> added with mids/bass cut out? Also is there an xrun around 2:50-2:51?
> Maybe this is just my imagination though..
>
> The snare on the second one sounded much better. I wonder if the
> second song is a little bass-heavy though - maybe the bass guitar
> could be eq'd so it doesn't overlap with the bass drum so much? It
> sounds great on my headphones - but I know when that's the case and I
> move over to my hifi it can sound really over the top and boomy.

   Just got a chance to listen. The drums on the second one are as good
as I've ever heard. I'd compare the sound to the drums on One Headlight
by The Wallflowers (pretty much accepted as some of the best snare drum
recording ever) except that I think yours sound better. Cleaner and
more well defined. Not too much reverb. Really great!