Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 21:11:24 EEST

> multiplying two floats will introduce a rounding error in the least
> significant bit. that means it adds noise. at a level of -144dBFS.

Yes, depends on the range of the signal. It will be ~ -144dBFS if the
input signal is full range 0dB. It will be considerably less if the
signal is less. Although ears might have a dynamic range of over
120dB, they have considerably less dynamic depth (only 30dB or so in a
critical band, not sure of the full-band figure).

> that means people will lose significant imaging clarity of the two
> mosquitoes fucking on their mike windscreen during the recording of that
> starting space shuttle. end of the world!

Mosquitos are *considerably* louder than what we're talking about!

Monty