Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 20:08:44 EEST

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:49:15 +0200
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> fons@kokkinizita.net wrote:
>
> > There's one positive side to this whole story and
> > that is Atte's critical reaction: at least he had
> > to courage to question the nonsense, something that
> > judging by their replies, can't be said of most
> > members of that forum.
>
> :-)
>
> Thanks for all the second opinions, guys! The author of the "in depth"
> article has some valid points in general, and I heard some of his
> mastering work, which sounds really great.
>
> But for now I'll stop feeling guilty when I see my master fader away
> from 0db :-)

The problem with voodoo techniques, is that somewhere in all the
mumbo-jumbo there often is just one herb or treatment that has an
actual positive result. However the practitioners are too scared to
try to eliminate all the crap so just keep repeating the entire
sequence, comfortable in the knowledge that 'it just works'(tm).

I think this entire scenario translates to the audio world with perfect
one-to-one correspondence :o

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk