Re: [LAU] Orchestra sequencing and synthesis

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 19:33:08 EEST

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Marco Asa <aesir.ml@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> For this pourpose I evaluated Rosegarden and Musescore, what do you
> think about them? Is there something better out there?
>
> To get the orchestral instruments I was thinking to LinuxSampler (I
> already have all the sampled notes in wavs). Also here, do you think
> there could be a better approach?

My vote is for Rosegarden Thorn (the new release) and LinuxSampler,
which uses the Gigasampler format.

You might also want to check this out:

http://www.openoctave.org

I use this setup (with my own mods) for writing orchestral music. I
also use Lilypond for my scores, rather than a GUI score editor
(although many export to Lilypond). I prefer to keep the MIDI
rendering and the notation separate, since in many cases my MIDI
version does not always correspond directly to the notation (I may
double up samples, use CCs, overlap notes, etc), and especially in
Rosegarden, it will mess up the score.