Re: [LAU] room accoustics and noise reduction

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 09:45:33 EEST

tisdag 27 april 2010 23.33.25 skrev rosea.grammostola:
> 2m on each side, you're talking about the width or height?
> I've an corner: width of the two sides: 130cm and 110cm, height = 300cm

Width, so you won't get 2 meter on each side in your case, but 130 and 110 is
way much better that nothing. To cover from bottom to top (3 m) is probably a
good idea.

> Glass wool is not very pretty in my room though...
> I see the cybershop Thomann is selling some 'noppenschaum' stuff
> http://www.thomann.de/nl/standaard_absorber.html
> Are those materials good? What can you say about that?

You can cover the insulation with a (metal net), blanket or any kind of
textile or combination you like - even use a spray can and paint it, it might
even look cool.

What kind of stuff you choose to use is often tricky to decide. IMO, glass and
mineral wool tend to be more neutral when it comes to sound reflections while
foam based insulation tends to reflect more deeper sounds, which makes the
acoustic worthless. It's far better to have some reflections which have a nice
sound than a unbalanced bad sounding reflections - that often means some kind
of wood wall with thick insulation. You also play bass guitar, that means that
you probably want to cover the corner with a bass trap as well.

Information about this subject is everywhere, the 'net is full of wannabe
experts (like me), some pointers that can help you:
 http://www.acoustics101.com/
 http://artsites.ucsc.edu/EMS/music/tech_background/TE-14/teces_14.html
 http://www.auralex.com/c_studio_construction/c_studio_construction.asp
 http://www.tweakheadz.com/acoustic_room_treatment.htm