Re: [LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 06 2010 - 04:10:29 EEST

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Maybe have a look at the reggae scene? Afaik it's quite common there to
> involve the person at the mixing desk, to play with effects like delays
> and so on.
> However, I don't know how they call it. Shouldn't be too hard to figure
> out.

They call it "dub". Perhaps made popular by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_"Scratch"_Perry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_%22Scratch%22_Perry>
who
created a mixing style and sound that most people now associate with
"reggae."

In the early 1970s, Perry was one of the producers whose mixing board
> experiments resulted in the creation of dub. In 1973, Perry built a studio
> in his back yard, The Black Ark, to have more control over his productions
> and continued to produce notable musicians such as Bob Marley & the
> Wailers, Junior Byles, Junior Murvin, The Heptones, The Congos andMax Romeo.
> With his own studio at his disposal, Perry's productions became more lavish,
> as the energetic producer was able to spend as much time as he wanted on the
> music he produced. Virtually everything Perry recorded in The Black Ark was
> done using basic recording equipment; through sonic sleight-of-hand, Perry
> made it sound unique. Perry remained behind the mixing desk for many years,
> producing songs and albums that stand out as a high point in reggae history.

An engineering background seems to be a part of dub and reggae production
-- King Tubby, Lee Perry, Mad Professor, were all knowledgeable in
electronics and studio production and also musically inclined. For example
this excellent interview with the "Mad Professor"
http://www.kcrw.com/media-player/mediaPlayer2.html?type=video&id=mb100414mad_professor
@26.20...
he discusses his background in electronics and how it turned into dub
production skills... also discusses digital vs analog, 3d sound, etc. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Professor ).

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: I too saw some Adrian Sherwood and Tack>>Head shows in Bristol and
London back in the 80's -- in full agreement that it was a great sonic
experience.