Re: [LAU] jack and PulseAudio

From: Luka Princic // Nova deViator <nova@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 11:34:39 EEST

Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:

> > > Yeah, world domination is ALWAYS on the agenda I'm sure. Which is
> > > why Pulseaudio automatically suspends its control of a sound card
> > > with jack2 requests control =)
> >
> > Maybe in some version of PulseAudio you have. The one I used to
> > have here did not. So I removed it. Simpler that way. I guess I
> > still consider PulseAudio unnecessary for any purpose.
> >
> For reference (not specifically directed to you), more recent versions
> of Pulse (not sure exactly which) and jack2 (jackdmp) cooperate in
> that form. Recent distributions should have it sorted, unless they're
> using jack1.

AFAIK, suspending PA works with qjackctl, not directly with
jackd. just by running qjackctl, PA suspends. if you run it from the
terminal, you'll see "Suspending PulseAudio". this means PA is
suspended even if jack is not running - only qjackctl. this also means,
jack CAN run while PA is running. i do this frequenlty as i start jack
from the command line using firewire audio interface.

jackd -v -R -t1000 -dfirewire -r44100 -p128 -n3

so i can do pro-audio through fw and still have flash movies playing in
firefox. and hearing them.

it is also simple to suspend PA on the command line, something like:
pasuspender -- jackd -R -t1000 -d alsa -r44100 -p512 -n3

sujet est machinique!
Nova deViator ¤ http://deviator.si ¤ http://skylined.org ¤