Re: [LAU] QXGEdit (was Re: Suzuki QC1 Qchord Digital Songcard Guitar )

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 00:52:26 EEST

I'm writing to notify of success with the db60xg -- thanks Rui, for turning
me on to this great $20.00 synth!! Only remaining mystery is how to get
qjackctl to open both the analog (hw:6,0) and digital (hw:6,1) parts of the
Dynex dx-sc51 so I can have independent headpone monitors and SPDIF->main
monitor....

From
http://old.nabble.com/Suzuki-QC1-Qchord-Digital-Songcard-Guitar-td28495861.html

I got it all working! Here's my first recording (1 minute long done in
qtractor) of the Yamaha db60xg waveterminal daughterboard synth, playing
through- hosted-on, and recorded-by the dynex dx-sc51. MIDI for the db60xg
is driven by the Suzuki Qchord and "Rhythm Style QCard QRC-1" #16 "Salsa"
cartridge, randomly chorded by me:
http://nielsmayer.com/DjColtraneRexx-qchord-salsa.flac ... basically, the
qchord is a fancy chorded arpeggiator with a quantizing strumplate...

I now can record directly from the db60xg's analog output (it appears as the
"Video In" analog input in alsamixer. To get it working, I had to use
alsamixergui to set the soundcard's capture input to "Video In" and not the
default microphone). I then tell jackd to output to hw:ICE1724,1 (SPDIF)
which connects my main monitors. Then I can either record off the capture
input, or select monitor to send the db60xg sound, mixed with PCM, over
SPDIF to the mains. Now if I could only figure out how to get Jack to open
the Dynex card's analog (hw:ICE1724,0) and digital (hw:ICE1724,1) parts
simultaneously, i'd also have a separate headphone monitor in addition to
the working spdif out. Unfortunately, the snd-ice1724 module for this card
doesn't recognize it as a 6 channel card, providing only a 2in/2out with
separate SPDIF ( see
http://old.nabble.com/Re:-perhaps-why-some-of-us-have-more-trouble-w--pulseaudio-than-others-(ICE1712-M-audio-delta-problem-w--pulseaudio)-td28498250i40.html
 )

Some additional notes I took on using&recording from the db60xg with dynex
dx-sc5:

** Working jackd/qjackctl configuration -- allows for SPDIF output and
normal 2 channels of capture fed by db60xg (when capture input setup as
"Video")
-- ~/.jackdrc == "/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:6,0
-Phw:6,1 -Xseq -zs -H -M"
-- note that in "setup" Interface set to "(default)" and "Input Device" set
to "hw:6,0" ; "Output Device" set to "hw:6,1" (to get SPDIF out); use
"hw:6,0" for analog/headphones.
-- for some reason, this fails when setting symbolic name, e.g.
"-Chw:ICE1724,0 -Phw:ICE1724,1" -- therefore jack setup is sensitive to ALSA
moving cards around.

** in alsamixer (F4-record) make sure input set to "Video" == db60xg and
"capture" is selected
Item:"L R Capture" in red must appear above "Video" input. Cursor to there
and hit 'space' to select.
Item: "L R Capture" in red must ALSO appear above "Capture" input, otherwise
all capture is muted. This normally sets "mic boost" but should be set to
0db.
            (to select, cursor to "Capture" and hit 'space').

** in alsamixer (F3-playback):
Item: "Multi Track Rate Locking" set to [Off]
Item: "Multi Track Rate Reset" set to [Off]
Item: "SPDIF" (left): set to "[H/W In 0]" to monitor db60xg ; set to "PCM"
for normal/DAW usage.
Item: "SPDIF 1" (right): set to "[H/W In 1]" to monitor db60xg ; set to
"PCM" for normal/DAW usage.
Item: "Video" set to 74 == 0db. Note that this just controls the mix-level
of the db60xg in the "digital mixer" that feeds the analog output and
headphone monitor
             (like 'PCM' adjusts level of PCM into the mixer.).

** IMPORTANT: Both for monitoring through SPDIF as well as
capture/recording, careful to prevent clipping of this analog "Video" input:
-- the level of the db60xg must be adjusted in qxgedit's Master volume. The
"Video" input just adjusts the mix level after the input.
-- Many public XG midi files are very loud and require total volume set to
80-100 not 127. (this results in a loudness blip at the end if the track
uses master volume to fade, and the level was set below where the fadelevel
started...).
-- use "qarecord --jack --rate 48000" to check levels and set via 'xgedit'
system/effect->Master->Volume

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: TODO: figuring out how the db60xg's analog input is routed through the
dynex sc51 and how to access and route it:
http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/main96.html