Re: [LAU] [OT] GMail and ML's (was Re: test...)

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 03:35:48 EEST

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 23:09 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On 2010-05-14 16:47, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
>
> > Are the filters in your e-mail client or GMail?
>
> In the email client.
>
> The problem is fixed for now by subscribing with the email supplied by
> my ISP. It supports IMAP and seems to work just as I want it to. Maybe
> I'll give gmail a shot later in my life :-)

My filters are in GMail. I read somewhere that best practice with IMAP
is to filter at source rather than in the client. What I understand is
happening is this:-

1. You send a message to the list.
2. The list sends you back the same message.
3. Gmail gets the message and compares it with your incoming filters
(this is where mine gets saved).
4. Gmail examines the message and filters it out because you sent it.
5. Your email client downloads via pop/IMAP and DOESN'T get the mail.