Re: [LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 07:33:03 EEST

On Fri, 14 May 2010, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> * First, what version of jack and what version of kernel are you
> using? Fedora comes with jack1, whereas the CCRMA has jack2 which
> would replace jack1 if you choose so. (We are planning to import jack2
> to Fedora soon.)
  I'm running the version that came with the fedora 12 install. That
system is out in the garage, and I'm in the house right now, but I think
it reported v0.113 or something like that when it started. I'm running
one of the CCRMA kernels, I think the first one, without the PAE.

> * What recommendations did you follow for setting
> /etc/security/limits.conf? We need to make sure you didn't follow an
> advise from a random link from the web. CCRMA's jack2 needs different
> settings than Fedora's jack1. CCRMA's jack2 package does the
> modifications in /etc/security/limits.conf automatically. Fedora's
> jack1 does need some manual tweaking, as specified in
> /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/README.Fedora

   Again, this is from memory, but it was the recommendation that jack
itself put into the qjackctl 'messages' window. I think it was something
like this:
  @audio - rtprio 100
  @audio - nice -10

> * What error messages do you get?
   Just the above, along with something about current user not permitted to
run RT options, so I set up the limits as requested, and added myself to
the audio group.

> * You talked about interactions with pulseaudio but what did you end
> up doing? Did you uninstall it?
   No that was just negative comments I read on the mailinglist. I haven't
any indication that my problems are due to PA, yet. Does fedora use PA?
That was one of the reasons I tried fedora 12, because I heard that Ubuntu
was too entangled with PA.

> I recommend joining the CCRMA mailing list, as there are many more
> people there to help you. e.g. I can't help you much pulseaudio since
> I always remove it from my systems, but there are people at CCRMA who
> use it.
>
> Your experience and opinion are important for us since we don't want
> the initial set up to be a turndown for new users.
   I agree! The planetCCRMA @home web page was easy to follow, up until
the point that it suggested browsing the repository to select packages.
With fedora 13 only days away, why is the ccrma-audio meta-package still
only available for fedora 11?
   I also had trouble trying to install jack. qjackctl didn't draw it in,
and yum wouldn't install jack, jackd, or jackdmp. WTF is the package
called??! I finally just launched qjackctl and pressed the 'start'
button, expecting to get a message about 'jack not found' and maybe a
pointer to the proper package. I was quite surprised to see jackd start
up! It must be a part of the default fedora install. But then, I can't
seem to keep it running for more than 30 seconds...

--
Rick Green
                                   -Benjamin Franklin