Re: [LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 22:31:03 EEST

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 00:33 -0400, Rick Green wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
> > * First, what version of jack and what version of kernel are you
> > using? Fedora comes with jack1, whereas the CCRMA has jack2 which
> > would replace jack1 if you choose so. (We are planning to import jack2
> > to Fedora soon.)
> I'm running the version that came with the fedora 12 install. That
> system is out in the garage, and I'm in the house right now, but I think
> it reported v0.113 or something like that when it started. I'm running
> one of the CCRMA kernels, I think the first one, without the PAE.
>

> > * What recommendations did you follow for setting
> > /etc/security/limits.conf? We need to make sure you didn't follow an
> > advise from a random link from the web. CCRMA's jack2 needs different
> > settings than Fedora's jack1. CCRMA's jack2 package does the
> > modifications in /etc/security/limits.conf automatically. Fedora's
> > jack1 does need some manual tweaking, as specified in
> > /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/README.Fedora

I you want to try Planet CCRMA you should start by following the
recommendations on how to install it here (maybe you already did?):

  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

If you start by installing planetccrma-core-* then you should get a
properly configured rt kernel, misc alsa packages that are not installed
by default and optimization software (rtirq). Installing the kernel
alone is not nearly enough.

Then you should upgrade to the jack package that is part of Planet
CCRMA. This will set up universal access for the realtime schedule (and
you don't need touch anything in /etc/security/*).

> Again, this is from memory, but it was the recommendation that jack
> itself put into the qjackctl 'messages' window. I think it was something
> like this:
> @audio - rtprio 100
> @audio - nice -10
>
> > * What error messages do you get?
> Just the above, along with something about current user not permitted to
> run RT options, so I set up the limits as requested, and added myself to
> the audio group.
>
> > * You talked about interactions with pulseaudio but what did you end
> > up doing? Did you uninstall it?
> No that was just negative comments I read on the mailinglist. I haven't
> any indication that my problems are due to PA, yet. Does fedora use PA?
> That was one of the reasons I tried fedora 12, because I heard that Ubuntu
> was too entangled with PA.

If you install the Planet CCRMA version of jack (1.9.x instead 0.x) then
pulseaudio will automagically release the soundcard that jack wants to
use when jack starts (and reaquire it when jack stops).

> > I recommend joining the CCRMA mailing list, as there are many more
> > people there to help you. e.g. I can't help you much pulseaudio since
> > I always remove it from my systems, but there are people at CCRMA who
> > use it.
> >
> > Your experience and opinion are important for us since we don't want
> > the initial set up to be a turndown for new users.
> I agree! The planetCCRMA @home web page was easy to follow,

Hmmm, did you actually install planetccrma-core?

> up until
> the point that it suggested browsing the repository to select packages.
> With fedora 13 only days away, why is the ccrma-audio meta-package still
> only available for fedora 11?

Just a matter of time available to do it. I wanted to restructure it and
have been awfully busy. Sorry for the inconvenience.

> I also had trouble trying to install jack. qjackctl didn't draw it in,
> and yum wouldn't install jack, jackd, or jackdmp. WTF is the package
> called??!

  jack-audio-connection-kit

(for example, in a terminal you could say "yum list *jack*" and you
would get a meaningful packages)

If you installed the Planet CCRMA repositories it should have been
available as an upgrade anyway.

> I finally just launched qjackctl and pressed the 'start'
> button, expecting to get a message about 'jack not found' and maybe a
> pointer to the proper package. I was quite surprised to see jackd start
> up! It must be a part of the default fedora install. But then, I can't
> seem to keep it running for more than 30 seconds...

Try updating jack to the Planet CCRMA jack ("yum install
jack-audio-connection-kit").

-- Fernando