Re: [LAU] Distribution Usage?

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 16:43:32 EEST

Excerpts from Ng Oon-Ee's message of 2010-05-15 02:38:15 +0200:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 14:12 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> > > OK, all in all, don't forget to check
> > > http://www.linux-sound.org/distro.html
> >
> > Yeah, but some of that is a little outdated. For instance, Thac's
> > RPMs for Mandrake, is a bit old. Mandrake became Mandriva, and Thac
> > went on to create PCLinuxOS as an alternative.
> >
> > Thanks tho....
> >
> > --
> For those who want the latest of just about everything, Arch is not too
> bad. More DIY from the audio perspective though, there IS an audio repo
> but I think it seriously lacks manpower to do updating. I do have 40+
> packages, more than half audio-related which I 'compile from source',
> but Arch's AUR (user-submitted PKGBUILDs to generate packages) makes
> that easy except for the wait-time of compiling, dependency-checking and
> such are all done in the PKGBUILD.

It's quite contrary to what the thread starter wants though. He wants a
distro that is ready for audio production without much setup. Arch has
its strengths, I use it and love it, but it takes time to set it up and
configure everything. Its flexibility is its weakness :)

--
Regards,
Philipp