[LAU] Distribution Usage?

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 19:57:56 EEST

I've been using Mandriva for a very long time now, as it's been good
to me for audio work. But, they are having financial troubles and
looking to be bought out. Maybe they'll survive that, and maybe they
won't. At some point I might want to change distributions. My two
initial choices for something to look at would be:

  - PCLinuxOS, for it's similarity to and roots in Mandriva
  - Fedora, as CCRMA enhancements for sound are targeted at Fedora

My 3 audio primary audio uses are:

  - Ardour with high-end cards and low latency
  - Audacity
  - Amarok

I also listen to and convert WMA and Apple audio files into open
formats, so PLF (Penguin Liberation Front) packages for Mandriva
have been wonderful. If a distro won't serve my audio needs, then
it's not usable by me.

Of course, whatever distro I choose must do all the usual
home/office stuff, and be able to help my kids with schoolwork at
least as well as Mandriva has.

I downloaded both of these distros and will be trying them when I
get time. Does anyone have any advice as I go into this?

Thanks....

--
Kevin