Re: [LAU] Distribution Usage?

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 17:53:17 EEST

On 14 May 2010 at 0:26, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> wrote:

> If you are happy with one distro in general and dedicated to your audio
> work, you can of course compile the most important components for yourself.
> It's just a question of time, devotion and knowledge you wish to invest and
> accumulate.

I've been doing the Linux audio thing since the 2.2 kernel, when
OSS was the default interface and ALSA was an add on. I even
mastered a CD for sale with optional Linux tools back then. I
had to learn all kinds of things, like building the kernel,
optional modules, module loading, adding ALSA and configuring
all the sound devices. When Linux components, e.g. ALSA, and
distribution started configuring things better out of the box,
it was really great for me. Mandriva used to have multimedia
kernels, and they've moved to rt kernels. They also, once I
figured it out, managed to get ALSA, JACK and PulseAudio to all
work on the same system. That made it pretty easy for me to get
all of my audio apps to work nearly out of the box. I've been
really happy with Mandriva, and I hope they continue.

Cheers....

--
Kevin