Re: [LAU] Distribution Usage?

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 17:57:36 EEST

On 14 May 2010 at 0:05, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> wrote:

> What about Ubuntu Studio? From what I've heard they're
> quite good when it comes to audio and as they are related to
> Ubuntu/Debian their general package base should be huge.

I might try Ubuntu again. I've tried it twice. I'm not all
that happy with Gnome in practice, though I like Gnome a lot in
theory. I used to hate KDE in practice, but Mandriva has made it
better, even through the KDE4 transition. It's tolerable now,
and it suits my wife best with her Windows past.

> I don't know about PLF, but I've successfully used
> mplayer/mencoder and other small utilities to convert
> proprietary formats into open formats.

That's good to hear.

> I'm not sure about official mplayer packages, but I'm sure
> there should be some packages. I always compile it from source.

Doesn't it all go back to what codecs you have installed?
PLF was a really good place to get all the codecs needed and
packages, like mplayer/mencoder/gstreamer, that were all built in
the same environment at the same time as those codecs.

> I hope this helps, although not realted to your first
> choices.

Yes, it's useful. Thanks....

--
Kevin