Re: [LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 03:19:16 EEST

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> I know you are frustrated. But let's help each other, shall we?
>
> rpm -q jack-audio-connection-kit qjackctl pulseaudio kernel ardour
> uname -r

  OK. I found another Radeon card in an old machine, swapped it into my
test machine, and luckily it came up without having to reconfigure X.

Here's the output of the queries you suggested:
[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# rpm -q jack-audio-connection-kit qjackctl pulseaudio
kernel ardour
jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.i686
qjackctl-0.3.6-1.fc12.i686
pulseaudio-0.9.21-5.fc12.i686
kernel-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686
kernel-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686
ardour-2.8.7-1.fc12.i686
[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# uname -r
2.6.31.12-1.rt20.1.fc12.ccrma.i686.rtPAE

I continued poking at the system, and stumbled upon more problems:

Launch Ardour, open new session, selecting 'automatically connect inputs'.
Add two mono tracks to session. Select track 1. Input at top of editor
mixer strip shows a '-', and pop-up when hovering shows 'disconnected'.
I click on it, and select 'in 1'. Input box still shows '-' and hover
text shows 'disconnected', yet when I click on it again, 'in 1' is checked
in the popup menu.

I enable record on that track, enable record in the transport section, and
click the play button. Nothing happens - the record button continues to
flash as if enabled, but the playhead doesn't move. No indication that
anything is being recorded.

I decide to give up there. I click 'session' then 'close', get the
reminder that I haven't saved, and click 'just close'. Nothing happens,
and Ardour locks up. Several minutes later, I issue a kill from a
terminal window, and Ardour disappears.

In that terminal window, I issue 'ps aux | grep jack', and learn that jack
is still running. I attempt to kill it, it doesn't die, then kill it
again with -s 9, to no avail.

I did check /etc/security/limits.conf, and found this at the end:

## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
* - rtprio 99
* - memlock 4194304
* - nice -10

-- Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009