Re: [LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 03:02:20 EEST

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> jack-audio-connection-kit.i686 0.118.0-1.fc12 @updates

You should do a "yum update" after adding the CCRMA repository. Then you'll
upgrade to the latest Jack:
jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.i686

You also need to config /etc/group adding your group name to 'jackuser' just
like you did for
video, audio, polkituser, pulse, pulse-rt, pulse-access, rtkit, cdrom, tape,
 and whatever else you need special access to.

After doing that you probably will need to reboot once, unless you know
enough to disable and restart enough systems to get it to reread
/etc/security/limits.conf which are changed by the CCRMA Jackd. Also, you
may not like the particular limits set, I changed mine to:
( see http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html ).

## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit

## NPM changed '*' to @jackuser to limit priority escalation to jackd.

@jackuser - rtprio 99

@jackuser - memlock 4194304

@jackuser - nice -10

Also, unless you're a masochist, you should totally disable
selinux ("chkconfig --level 0123456 restorcond off") by adding "selinux=0"
to /boot/grub/grub.conf e.g.

> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64 ro
> root=/dev/mapper/vg_gnulem-lv_root LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=emacs2 vga=0x307
> selinux=0 nomodeset 5

Above, in addition to
http://old.nabble.com/uninstall-pulseaudio-to-increase-audio-app-stability-across-updates-(was-Re:-yum-update)-to27759501.html#a27759501
also disabled the pulseaudio of video -- kernel mode setting -- and behold
the glory of masses of scrolling text at bootup, stable updates, and no
weird ATI radeon bugs.

Speaking of pulseaudio, http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html is
a potential bad interaction between pulseaudio and jack (through
/etc/security/limits.conf, potential priority escalation issue).

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com