[LAU] stuttering sound using vmware in ubuntu karmic

From: Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 15:47:44 EEST

Somebody made me attend on this list, specializing in sound problems.

I write music semi-professionally and therefore have to use Finale,
which is Windows only. I have installed Vmware where Windows XP is
running as a guest and there I run Finale.
The sound produced by any sound application in Windows is "stuttering"
and distorted and quite unusable.
System: AMD Phenom II (4-core, 2.4 GHz)) 4GB mem; Ubuntu Karmic.
Sound is OK in Karmic (flash video's no problem, CD's no problem).
Vmware : soundcard : autodetect. I have tried other possibilities but
none worked better.
I suspect pulse-audio, which I think is not a good development as I
prefer good old ALSA without "embellishments". However, audacity, which
I use regularly in Linux works without a problem.
Can anybody give me some help to solve this problem as it is rather
urgent and I don't want a system with Windows only.
I hope somebody can help me out.
Joep