Re: [LAU] stuttering sound using vmware in ubuntu karmic

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 15:55:55 EEST

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Somebody made me attend on this list, specializing in sound problems.
>
> I write music semi-professionally and therefore have to use Finale,
> which is Windows only. I have installed Vmware where Windows XP is
> running as a guest and there I run Finale.
> The sound produced by any sound application in Windows is "stuttering"
> and distorted and quite unusable.
> System: AMD Phenom II (4-core, 2.4 GHz)) 4GB mem; Ubuntu Karmic.
> Sound is OK in Karmic (flash video's no problem, CD's no problem).
> Vmware : soundcard : autodetect. I have tried other possibilities but
> none worked better.
> I suspect pulse-audio, which I think is not a good development as I
> prefer good old ALSA without "embellishments". However, audacity, which
> I use regularly in Linux works without a problem.
> Can anybody give me some help to solve this problem as it is rather
> urgent and I don't want a system with Windows only.
> I hope somebody can help me out.

What kind of audio device are you using? You can always turn off
pulseaudio... I wouldn't expect audio performance to be stellar inside
a VM, especially if you are using any kinds of samples for playback.
Is it possible to have Finale send MIDI to Linux and have Linux do the
audio playback using something like Fluidsynth?

Alternatively, if you want an all Linux solution, use Lilypond for
your music notation! I moved away from GUI notation apps to Lilypond
and have never looked back.

-- Brett