Re: [LAU] stuttering sound using vmware in ubuntu karmic

From: Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 16:48:53 EEST

Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

> What kind of audio device are you using? You can always turn off
> pulseaudio... I wouldn't expect audio performance to be stellar inside
> a VM, especially if you are using any kinds of samples for playback.
> Is it possible to have Finale send MIDI to Linux and have Linux do the
> audio playback using something like Fluidsynth?
>
> Alternatively, if you want an all Linux solution, use Lilypond for
> your music notation! I moved away from GUI notation apps to Lilypond
> and have never looked back.
>
> -- Brett

Brett,
Thanks for the fast answer. I arrange (and write) the last 6 years with
Finale and am rather accomplished with it. I have tried (and still try)
Musescore, but that is still lacking features I need (but it is coming).
I am an arranger who want to hear what is written every say 4 bars or
more as I arrange as well for Big Band as for 2 piano's. I have looked
at Lilypond I think 8 years ago but I found it then too cumbersome and a
very steep learning curve.
The audio device I use is the built-in audio by NVIDIA (Device manager
says it is a HDA Nvidia sound card) Although I'm a semi-professional
jazz pianist (I'm retired) I don't care much for the audio from my
computer. If I want to listen I use my sound-system. Since I recently
can record with the Zoom R16 I burn it on rewritable CD's and if I want
to record permanently I write on DVD (as that is 24-bit).
You says that pulseaudio can be turned off? How? I thought it so deep -
at least in Ubuntu - in the system that than all sound stops.
O by the way, I have tried virtualbox instead of vmware but als the
sound was lousy and moreover it played the the finale files 4 times
slower than was original.
In vmware I have Finale running via MIDI but that doesn't make any
difference.
Maybe you or somebody else has some suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Joep