Re: [LAU] memlock lack

From: Pablo Fernandez <pablo.fbus@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 27 2010 - 23:19:35 EEST

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM, J. <jonathangoodman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I updated to ubuntu 10.04 it asked me if I wanted a real-time kernel. I
> agreed. when I start jack I get a warning:
> Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter
> the line:
> @audio - memlock unlimited
> in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
> @audio - memlock 769515
>
> I went to the limits.conf there was only:
> @audio - rtpro-99 (or something similar). not
> @audio - memlock unlimited

Ailo wrote:

"JACK will write the following during post-installation to
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf

# generated by jackd's postinst.
# Do not edit this file by hand, use
# dpkg-reconfigure -p high jack
# instead
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19

"

"Beginning with the Ubuntu package
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118+svn3796-1ubuntu2 editing of
/etc/security/limits.conf should not be required."

BUT:

ubuntustudio-audio metapackage has not yet deprecated this script that
writes:

@audio - rtprio 99
in
/etc/security/limits.conf

> Under system administrator ubuntu studio controls there is a setting for
> memlock can I set it there?

Ubuntustudio-controls will write to /etc/security/limits.conf
Leave it alone and use the command line.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio/+bug/571688

I think jack suggests 75% of your RAM memory. At least in my case, it was
exactly so. I suppose this is safer than "unlimited".

Cheers! Pablo