Re: [LAU] Sustain pedal issue with undesired repeated notes (m-audio keystation 88es + qjackctl + qsynth)

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 13:21:08 EEST

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:15:13 +0200
Nicolas BERCHER <nbercher@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 08.06.2010 11:21, David Santamauro wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:57:13 +0200
> > Nicolas BERCHER<nbercher@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> So, I checked what's going on:
> >> $ aseqdump --list
> >> Port Client name Port name
> >> 0:0 System Timer
> >> 0:1 System Announce
> >> 14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
> >> 20:0 SB Live! Value [CT4870] EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
> >> 24:0 USB Keystation 88es USB Keystation 88es
> >> MIDI 1 $ aseqdump -p 24:0
> >> Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
> >> Source_ Event_________________ Ch _Data__
> >> 24:0 Control change 0 64 127
> >> 24:0 Note on 0 82 82
> >> 24:0 Note on 0 82 0
> >> 24:0 Control change 0 64 0
> >>
> >> The above sequence dumped by aseqdump shows only one note event
> >> (lines 2+3: press+release) but I heard a delayed note as mentioned
> >> in my first mail.
> >>
> > Actually, there are two note events and both are NOTE ON, one with
> > velocity of 82 and the other 0. The velocity 0 should be
> > interpreted as NOTE OFF.
> >
> I forgot to tell you that the third dump line, which correspond to
> the key release, appeared *after* the undesired delayed note (I've
> kept it pressed about ten seconds).
> So I think that the keyboard events are well interpreted by qsynth
> since I can play piano in a standard way: notes can ring as long as I
> want when I press/release the keys!

Aha ... sounds like an attack issue with the soundfont. You press a
key, there is an initial attack, the sample loops and reattacks.

  - do the notes repeat if you play them staccato, i.e., key
    on/off < the time seen for the repeated notes to trigger?

  - Have you tried a different soundfont and/or patch and is the
    behavior identical regardless?

David