Re: [LAU] GPL vs GPLv3

From: Alexandros Diamantidis <adia@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 15:29:39 EEST

* Atte André Jensen [2010-06-10 11:53]:
> I just realized that I also have done some software patches (diff files)
> to some software, mostly a couple of patches to the chuck sourcecode.
> How about that? It seems that chuck is under LGPL, if it matters...

I think it's customary, unless there is some notice to the contrary, to
assume that patches to open-source software are offered under the same
license as the base software. In any case, I think that patches
shouldn't be put under different licenses, as that would create lots of
headache to the original developers if they want to integrate them -
unless there's some very compelling reason to do otherwise, for example
to use some other substantial software package with a different license.

Alex