Re: [LAU] audacity alternative?

From: Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 16:16:54 EEST

Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 11.06.2010 08:23, schrieb Joep L. Blom:
>> Joel Roth wrote:
>
>> I discovered 2 days ago qtractor and I think that does the things you
>> want.
>
> Qtractor is a powerful, very nice MII-Sequencer with good
> Audio-capabilities but it is NOT the obvious choice, if you want to
> replace Audacity.
>
> I also recommend MHWaveedit. For day-to-day audiocutting and even as an
> advanced wave-fileplayer. (And I have not seen a crash with it in the
> last 2 or-so years).
> SND is very cool for experiments with sounds derived from recordings but
> its learning-curve is steep if you want to use it for simple stuff.
> Si I like SND for granular-synthesis, extreme time-strecheffects,
> realtime-effects for small samples and so on but MHW is better for
> simple editing.

Hartmut,
You suggested mwaveedit and, as I'm rather new, I loaded it using
synaptic (ubuntu Karmic 9.10) it installed without problems and it
loaded rather fast.
However, my first impression is that for the task I want to perform
mixing 4 tracks recorded from 2 piano's,(2 recorded with 2 microphones
and 2 from the output of an E-piano), the view of qtractor where all
channels can be combined together is easier than 4 separate windows,
although it seems much easier to change the presentation of each
channel individually in mwaveedit.
Primarily I'm musician (former computer-'expert', programming in
various languages) and not at all familiar with the 'language' used in
the digital audio world. So I have to get to know what the LADSPA
filternames mean as the names has no meaning to me. But at the moment my
  most pressing problem is the fact that I get lots of XRUN errors which
clip the sound so a notmal mix cannot be made. I cannot understand why
this should happen as I have an AMD Phenom II (4-core) processor so I
assume more than sufficient computing power: I have it as well in
qtractor as in mwaveedit.
If somebody can give some clues what to change I would be very grateful.
I use the plain Karmic kernel with no extra sound modules. Stopping
pulsaudio (pulseaudio -k) doesn't make any difference.
Thanks in advance,
Joep