Re: [LAU] New Bach from Aeolus and me

From: M Watts <zwy648rct@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 02:26:12 EEST

On 06/17/2010 07:44 PM, david wrote:

> Organ registrations are a mystery to me, too. How can I learn about them?

Try this book:

Organ-Stops and Their Artistic Registration by George Ashdown Audsley
(ISBN: 9780486424231)

This link has some info on how the various foot lengths relate to the
harmonic series etc.:

http://www.lawrencephelps.com/Documents/Articles/Beginner/pipeorgans101.html

There's a stop dictionary at http://www.organstops.org/

Basic crash course:--

The main manual stops are at 8' pitch; it takes an open pipe of 8'
sounding length to produce the C under the bass staff. The main pedal
stops are 16', an octave lower. The pedals are usually, but not always,
coupled to whatever manual is currently in use.

Flue stops:
The main 'organ' sound is the Diapason or Principal; these are either
open pipes (Principal, Octave, Fifteenth) or stopped, with a plug in the
end, sounding softer (Dulciana, Salicional). A stopped pipe sounds an
octave lower than its length would indicate.

Mutation stops and mixtures are also diapason-type, not used by
themselves; mutations are single ranks, sounding one of the harmonic
series other than the octave (Twelfth, Quint, Septime, None, Tierce,
Larigot); mixtures are multi-rank, for adding brightness (Cymbel,
Furniture, Cornet, Sesquialtera).

There are flutey-sounding flue stops (Claribel, Hohlflute, Gedact,
Gemshorn, Suabe), and stringy-sounding flues (Geigen, Gamba, Violone).

Reed stops:
These use reed, usually of brass, to produce the sound; they range from
smooth and quiet (Cornopean, Oboe, Vox Humana) or loud & agressive
(Ophecleide, Posaun, Bombarde, Trumpet).

Couplers etc:
These couple various manuals together, allowing stops from one manual to
be played on another. Sometimes there are octave- and suboctave-couplers.

E.g. in Aeolus, the Great to Pedal coupler is labelled P+1, meaning the
pedals will play the stops drawn on Manual I, as well as its own.

So in Aeolus, a basic organ sound is:

Manual I: Principal 8, Principal 4, Octave 2
Pedal: Subbass 16, P+I

 From here, add any or all of Octave 1, Quint 2 2/3, Mixtur; Add or swap
Principal 16 for Subbass on the pedal.

(Sorry for thread hijack :))