Re: [LAU] digital volume sounds better at 0 dB?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 19 2010 - 10:34:29 EEST

fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> As long as you don't overload anything, there should be no difference.
> Things like 'fuller bass' are impossible to comment on. If in doubt,
> *measure* it.

Yup. Although I remember advice from decades back saying that whatever
your amp's volume setting, it needed to have enough power to drive the
bass frequencies. Those take more power because the speaker has to move
a lot more air for a strong bass response. So it's possible that your
amp gives you better bass response when you have it cranked up, simply
because that's when it has enough power to really drive your bass speakers.

I used to play bass, and remember times when my bass cabinet's 12"
speakers (driven by an amp rated at a measly 400 watts RMS) were moving
enough air to blow my bellbottom pants legs around.

But I'm no pro audio person, so listen to Fons and measure!

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden