Re: [LAU] digital volume sounds better at 0 dB?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 19 2010 - 13:24:13 EEST

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:34:29PM -1000, david wrote:

> fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
> >As long as you don't overload anything, there should be no difference.
> >Things like 'fuller bass' are impossible to comment on. If in doubt,
> >*measure* it.
>
> Yup. Although I remember advice from decades back saying that
> whatever your amp's volume setting, it needed to have enough power
> to drive the bass frequencies. Those take more power because the
> speaker has to move a lot more air for a strong bass response. So
> it's possible that your amp gives you better bass response when you
> have it cranked up, simply because that's when it has enough power
> to really drive your bass speakers.

None of this depends on the gain setting which for most
power amps is just a potentiometer at the input, with
at most a low or unity gain stage in front. Reducing the
gain does not reduce the available power - it just takes
more input.

Instrument (guitar) amps are a different matter.

Ciao,

--
FA
O tu, che porte, correndo si ?