[LAU] RME HDSP Multiface and PulseAudio

From: Steve Fosdick <sjflists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2010 - 18:55:39 EEST

I have, for the moment, my RME HDSP Multiface at home along with a nice
pair of Sennheiser headphones. The headphones show up the shortcomings
of the integrated audio I/F on the motherboard so I'd like to be able to
route "normal" audio to the RME, e.g. use it for things like listening
to music with rhtythmbox, which seems to mean persuading PulseAudio to
output to it.

So far the PulseAudio sound preferences does not see the HDSP even after
restarting PulseAudio. The kernel module is loaded, the firmware loaded
and the card works fine with jack and ardour.

What do I have to do to persuade PulseAudio to see it?

The distribution is Ubuntu 10.04. There is no /etc/asound.conf
or .asoundrc file. I did try creating a .soundrc to enable ALSA
applications to output to Jack in the hope this would cause PulseAudio
to offer jack as an output option but this didn't seem to make any
difference.

Interestingly aplay -l shows the card and aplay -L does not:

$ aplay -l
card 0: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface
[RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708B Digital [VT1708B Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ aplay -L
pulse
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0