Re: [LAU] New music: And it's time for: Bach again! Bach again! :-)

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2010 - 19:11:32 EEST

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Fast bebop is almost even 8ths :-)

yes! you have no idea how long it took me to figure this out. and I
agree with your earlier statement that Bach sounds better when played
straight.

I think too many people think jazz = swing. I'm not even going to
attempt to define jazz, but I think restricting it to only swing is
wrong.

also, I hear a lot of complicated harmonies implied by even the
simplest of bach's pieces (as you said, b9, etc.). I guess to him
they were all passing tones...but I guess they are to us, too.

I'm getting dangerously close to spitting opinions on things and
revealing my ignorance here, but in my mind, bach is what jazz
could/should grow up to be, that is if it hasn't already.

tl;dr - bach would dig charlie parker :)

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com