Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 02:55:39 EEST

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> YouTube is an interesting case. I didn't read what the decision was
> but I hear they won a judgment against (I think) Viacom a few days ago
> allowing them to keep posting stuff, or at least to leave it online if
> someone else posts it.

this is a bit inaccurate. the ruling said that as long as YT can
demonstrate that they respond effectively to legitimate take-down
notices, they are not guilty of copyright infringement just because
somebody posted something that they should not have. the court ruled
that YT have demonstrated this, at least in the case of Viacom's
alleged abuses.