Re: [LAU] jack jenanigans

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 02:53:04 EEST

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM, J. <jonathangoodman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> (1) Why when the jack control setup says sample rate 44.1 the status says
> 48. All I need at this point is 44.1 who do I change it to that.

you can't. you are using consumer audio hardware that only runs at
48kHz. it "works on windows" because the windows driver lies about it,
and does resampling. you could achieve a similar effect by making jack
use a device called "plughw:XXXX" rather than "hw:XXXX" as you are
probably doing now. the CPU load will go up and the resampling quality
is poor. JACK is picking the sample rate that is available and closest
to what you asked for rather than failing. People didn't like it much
when it would just fail.

> (2) There are times when I need to stop jack. When I do the disk player
> clicks and played 1/step flat. and my finale notation on wine doesn't access
> timidity++ (as it does before I start jack). What is the problem?

these apps are the problem. your only workaround is to quit them and
restart them after you restart JACK.

> (3) I have had to shut off timidity++ on the command line to get it to start
> as a Rose garden service. I have forgotten how to do this and how to start
> it for Rose garden. sometimes when I start  timidity++ as a Rose garden
> service every thing crashes What to do.

no idea about these issues.