Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 03 2010 - 01:12:48 EEST

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 02:01:34PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> With regard to the general discussion about money, publishing, copyright, and commerce, I've given up. I think we've made a total of US$30 gross-- altogether-- from the CD we put out, and it cost us about US$180 in out-of-pockeet costs (studio time, mostly), and another US$200 or so in capital equipment (headphones, headphone amps, cables, etc., which will get amortized over the course of other things). The studio time came out of band funds saved up from previous gigs, and the equipment came out of my own pocket. Working on it was a joy, but the realization that such efforts will never result in anything more than just costing money, kind of took the wind out of it, though at least it was POSSIBLE to do it on a shoestring, which was satisfying in and of itself.

Part of the problem here is that the average consumer has completely
lost any realistic idea of even _monetary_ values. For the last ten or
more years we have been flooded with consumer goods (including computer
hardware) at a price that is simply not sustainable. All of these are
produced in low-wage countries and this, combined with the too easy
availability of uncovered credit has allowed some people to make lots
of money, even with those low end user prices. But at the same time it
has undermined the local balance of production vs. consumption.
Basically the US and most of Europe are bankrupt as a result of this.
We are facing at least two generations that have no realistic idea
at all of any form of value - monetary or other.

Ciao,

--
FA
O tu, che porte, correndo si ?