Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Joep L. Blom <jlblom@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 03 2010 - 17:09:51 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Snobbery in action. I think Europe has an advantage over America when it
>> comes to art. There's a lot more interest in and support for art all over
>> Europe than there is here. I think part of it is that in America a number of
>> art forms now appear to be supported solely via government or other grants
>> doled out by small groups of people who quite gave up caring what anyone
>> else thinks. They've become their own little "cool in-groups." (See comments
>> above about teen herds?)
>
> I think (based on my experience living in Berlin 18 months ago, and
> growing up in the UK, but having lived in the US for 21 years) that
> you have this backwards.
>
> Non-commercial art is *vastly* more subsidized by grants in Europe
> than in the US, and there is a really strong belief that its part of
> the role of government, or even more broadly, society as a whole, to
> support "stuff that doesn't necessarily sell". The audiences are
> small, but committed. In the US, this sort of thing seems to be
> entirely audience-supported, which is to say not very supported at
> all.

Paul,
As a european musician I agree with you that music, classical especially
but also jazz and folk and many other types of music and art (dance,
stage, etc) are subsidised but there is a reason. We have a different
view, governmentally, on culture. I don't think - but I'm ignorant in
this aspect - that the US government ( or state government) give money
for cultural aspects. Here ( in the Netherlands) we have a Ministry of
Culture so politicians determine what is culture (music, art, dance,
etc.) (even worse civil servants are responsible for the implementation)
and squander money as they deem fit and in our country everything is
done by "committees" who get subsidised and who not. So if you are not a
favourite of (someone in) the committee than you're out of luck. In
short, it is an in crowd method of dispersing favours (like the former
kings did) only loosely related to quality.
(but I an a cynic).
Joep