[LAU] Help finding parts for building a hardware system

From: Mike McGonagle <mjmogo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 03:02:35 EEST

Hello all,

I recently have started having some issues with my current computer,
an old Mac OSX laptop, so I want to build a computer (desktop or
otherwise) to replace this older system. I pretty much have a list of
some specs that I would like in this machine, but in starting a search
for these things online, I feel I am getting nowhere fast.

I am looking to building around some Linux distro, but I am not
"married" to any particular system. My only hardware requirements are
the ability to connect up my USB midi interface. I would also like to
be able to capture digital audio from my external synths.

If anyone could possibly give me a handle on some direction of where
to start looking, it would be greatly appreciated. It just seems that
there is so much information out there, and Google doesn't seem to be
helping sort out the things I would need.

Thanks,

Mike