Re: [LAU] Linux DaftPunk-ifier?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 15:45:09 EEST

On 07/08/2010 06:46 PM, Xenon Mouse Radar wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 10:23 AM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
>>/ On 2010-07-07 08:37, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> />/
> />>/ Its a vocoder. I googled and found this:
> />/
> />/ Actually I think this is actually a talkbox. It's a funky thing with a
> />/ tube that goes in your mouth:
> />/
> />/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-S_jGD4
> />/
> />/ To add to the confusion I often use the mda_talkbox (available as native
> />/ linux vst here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vst/) which is
> />/ actually a vocoder...
> />/
> />/ Don't know of a way to get
> the real talkbox sound...
> />/
> /
> http://www.thedaftclub.com/showthread.php?t=155
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-S_jGD4
>
> So it is a talkbox sound, cool, I really thought they were just using
> vocoders :)
>
> Jeremy
>
> ////////////////
> Yes, I was going to mention that it's a talk box. AFAIK there is no software talk box emulator for Linux that sounds like a real talk box...maybe not even in the commercial software realm, either.
> A talkbox would be very difficult to emulate, and of course it would be special kind of Vocoder.
>
> Most professional pop artists use the real thing for that sound :)

Seems like a real nice challenge, creating an effect for Rakkarack that
allows input from a garden hose hooked up to a mic :) I'll check with my
guitar mentor/yoda, I recall he has built a talkbox himself once.

And now that we're at it, found another piece of Vocoder software:
http://gna.org/projects/lv2vocoder

Best,

Jeremy