Re: [LAU] Linux DaftPunk-ifier?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 09:11:46 EEST

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 02:45:09PM +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 06:46 PM, Xenon Mouse Radar wrote:
> > On 07/07/2010 10:23 AM, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> >>/ On 2010-07-07 08:37, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > />/
> > />>/ Its a vocoder. I googled and found this:
> > />/
> > />/ Actually I think this is actually a talkbox. It's a funky thing with a
> > />/ tube that goes in your mouth:
> > />/
> > />/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-S_jGD4
> > />/
> > />/ To add to the confusion I often use the mda_talkbox (available as native
> > />/ linux vst here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vst/) which is
> > />/ actually a vocoder...
> > />/
> > />/ Don't know of a way to get
> > the real talkbox sound...
> > />/
> > /
> > http://www.thedaftclub.com/showthread.php?t=155
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-S_jGD4
> >
> > So it is a talkbox sound, cool, I really thought they were just using
> > vocoders :)
> >
> > Jeremy
> >
> > ////////////////
> > Yes, I was going to mention that it's a talk box. AFAIK there is no software talk box emulator for Linux that sounds like a real talk box...maybe not even in the commercial software realm, either.
> > A talkbox would be very difficult to emulate, and of course it would be special kind of Vocoder.
> >
> > Most professional pop artists use the real thing for that sound :)
> >

> Seems like a real nice challenge, creating an effect for Rakkarack that
> allows input from a garden hose hooked up to a mic :) I'll check with my
> guitar mentor/yoda, I recall he has built a talkbox himself once.
>
> And now that we're at it, found another piece of Vocoder software:
> http://gna.org/projects/lv2vocoder

Wow. Well, it turned out that my guitar player has a Talkbox, and I plugged it in and tried it.

It's... just an amplifier and speaker with a long plastic tube attached! That's all it is!

I never realized that. For 35 or so years, I've thought the tube was attached to some kind of pressure or other sensor, and the electronics in the thing did something with it. No dice. A talkbox is an amplifier with a tube attached to its speaker, you put the tube in your mouth, and you have to hold your mouth next to a microphone. The microphone actually picks up the sound, which is whatever is played into the speaker, sent through the tube, and resonates through your mouth. A very primitive analog filter, I guess.

Weird. Anyway, it did pretty well approximate the sound of that goofy Daft Punk tune, though I much prefer what Stevie Wonder did with the talkbox.

That "Close To You" clip is outstanding. Amazing. What show is it from? Where might I find the rest of that clip, or the rest of the show?

-ken