Re: [LAU] jack2 set to realtime / soft mode, normal kernel ?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 02:18:09 EEST

Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Advantages of firewire approach:
> 1. Bus design. Internally, the firewire chip doesnt have to ask the CPU
> to copy data
> to its port, it just does it, while USB devices use the CPU for this task.
> 2. On cheap laptops (and unfortunat others) the IRQ's between USB &
> something else
> collide. This means worse performance. (I'm aware that Firewire IRQ's
> can collide too,
> but I've never seen that phenomena before.)
> 3. Firewire daisy chaining does still exist, at least for the Echo
> Audiofire devices that I have.
> 4. I run a laptop (so PCI / PCI-E and a lot of other options are out. )
> 5. From my experiences, Firewire devices seem to be more geared towards
> professional use,
> while USB targets the "pro-sumer" market. (No flame bait intended here..)
>
> I like the Pure::Dyne, its always done well on my laptop.

I like Pure:Dyne, too. Also ArtistX 0.6 and 0.7 (have that on my
synthesizer/effects laptop, an old Toshiba with 2.8GHz Celeron, 768MB
RAM). Works nicely with Behringer UCA-202 USB1 sound card, but I only
output sound from it.

Have made several attempts using Ubuntu 10.x and derivatives thereof.
They don't seem to like the Intel video in my two laptops (black
screen). Older Ubuntus (8.x and 9.x) and other distros don't have the
same problem.

> I've Dyne::Bolic before Pure::Dyne was
> released, and I've been keeping a close eye on AV Linux too.. Between
> them I've kept my production
> system installed (Pure Dyne), and a range of "testing" partitions with
> alternatives for Video / Blender work.

Notes about AVLinux:
* 32-bit only
* For those using older hardware, it requires that the processor support
PAE (Physical Address Extension). Of my collection of machines here,
newer AMD Sempron has it, Intel Celeron doesn't.

Of course, you don't have old hardware to deal with.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden