Re: [LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 16:24:16 EEST

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:51:39 +0100
Andrew C <countfuzzball@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Apologies in advance for any coarse language.
>
> Honestly, when will people stop going 'Oh this windows app doesn't work in
> linux, so I won't bother looking for native alternatives etc etc'. They're
> two completely different OSes, last time I checked! Heck, even Mac OS X has
> more in common with linux than windows does, and I'm not seeing people going
> 'Why can't I run Ableton on this Mac? Ugh it sucks big time, I won't bother
> with it!'.
>
> Andrew.

I find that when you look at such people more closely, you usually find
that they are lacking in confidence and afraid of change. The "won't
run XXX" is just the excuse they hide behind.

Find a way to magically run the program the want (wine?) and they will
panic and find some more obscure program that won't run. Interestingly,
I find it is usually *not* older people who have this problem, but the
30-somethings.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk