Re: [LAU] OT Rant: When will people stop comparing Windows/Linux apps?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 21:35:19 EEST

Hi,

On Sunday 11 July 2010 13:51:39 Andrew C wrote:
> Honestly, when will people stop going 'Oh this windows app doesn't work in
> linux, so I won't bother looking for native alternatives etc etc'. They're
> two completely different OSes, last time I checked! Heck, even Mac OS X has
> more in common with linux than windows does, and I'm not seeing people
> going 'Why can't I run Ableton on this Mac? Ugh it sucks big time, I won't
> bother with it!'.

My experience is that these people are not used to solve problems. They only
know how to use a certain tool. They will even buff out when you switch their
ms-word for openoffice-writer.
Take away their tool and they are like a turtle on its back.

Kind of like a smith who can only work when he uses that hammer-from-[tm] and
is fu**ed up when presented with a hammer from an alternative manufacturer.

Interestingly enough these are exactly the same people that can't wait any
second to install the newest version of win and office. Mostly because they hope
it fixes some problems they have, would they check the release notes they would
realize they are wrong. And they gladly spent hours to learn that the new
version isn't fixing their problems and has more new problems. And they spent
even more hours to invent ways around these problems and are glad if they
found the most difficult way around the problems.

How to deal with these people?

I tell them about the alternatives, I smile at them when they talk about their
problems (they always know that I don't have these kind of problems) and
otherwise I ignore them. Totally and completely. Its not worth my time to
listen to them talking about the strange faults and incompleteness they found
in ms' products.

Have fun,

Arnold

PS: I my future employer reads this: I don't hesitate to sell these people
either the newest version of their drugs. And I don't hesitate to sell them
education regardless whether about ms or free software:-)