Re: [LAU] MIDI over serial port

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 17 2010 - 06:34:49 EEST

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 03:03:04PM +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Dominic Sacr?? wrote:
> > >
> > > That module is part of the alsa-driver package.
> >
> > Is this module of any use for what I'm trying to do?
>
> It is supposed to do exactly what you want.
>
> > Why doesn't it get built by "./configure --with-cards=serialmidi && make"?
>
> in drivers/Kconfig:
> | config SND_SERIALMIDI
> | tristate "Generic driver for serial MIDI adapters"
> | depends on BROKEN
>
> You could try to remove this dependency, but I'd guess this is there for
> a reason and that this driver will not work.
>
> > > In theory, it would be possible to write a userspace daemon that
> > > connects any serial port to the ALSA sequencer.
> >
> > I guess I could do that.
>
> I'm doing this; wait for Monday.

There already is one. I have it, somewhere, probably on a disk on a machine that I don't have powered on at the moment.

I don't remember the name of it, sorry. It was a very simple one-file daemon in C which compiled and ran on Linux. I was using it to do MIDI communication to an Arduino some years ago.

-ken