Re: [LAU] So long, and thanks for all the fish.

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 17 2010 - 15:20:37 EEST

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:09:44 +1000
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 07/17/2010 08:13 PM, James Stone wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Gwenhwyfaer<gwenhwyfaer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, but it's a very British thing to do, throwing a very public
> >> tantrum about something other people are doing that you don't like
> >> rather than simply taking a couple of small steps to avoid it.
> >>
> > That's a rather sweeping (and as far as I can tell untrue) statement.
> >
> > With the exception of readers of the Daily Mail (a horrible
> > hate-riddled tabloid), most British people (in my experience as a
> > native) have pretty much a live and let live attitude in my
> > experience.
> >
> > You won't see me storming off in a huff, but I do do a fair bit of
> > ignoring (although in this case my British reserve didn't win out...).
> >

> That may be the case while Brits are in Britain but when they travel
> they tend to get a bit more mouthy and self absorbed. Perhaps that was
> what Gwenhwyfaer was alluding to...
>
> Maybe it's more noticible when you can understand the language being
> spoken. Perhaps non english speakers have seen similar behaviour from
> other non english speakers?

I travel quite a bit, and find there are the usual two classes of
people. Tourists & Travellers.

Tourists of any nationality I find a pain in the backside. They are
usually selfish, loud & demanding. I avoid them like the plague.

Travellers generally are actually interested in the countries and
people they visit and will make efforts to fit in. I always have time
for travellers to England.

These days, I can usually make myself understood in (spoken) German and
have a smattering of Spanish. I'm hoping to spend quite a bit of time in
France next year so am considering a short beginners course in French.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk