Re: [LAU] So long, and thanks for all the fish.

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 17 2010 - 15:09:44 EEST

On 07/17/2010 08:13 PM, James Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Gwenhwyfaer<gwenhwyfaer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but it's a very British thing to do, throwing a very public
>> tantrum about something other people are doing that you don't like
>> rather than simply taking a couple of small steps to avoid it.
>>
> That's a rather sweeping (and as far as I can tell untrue) statement.
>
> With the exception of readers of the Daily Mail (a horrible
> hate-riddled tabloid), most British people (in my experience as a
> native) have pretty much a live and let live attitude in my
> experience.
>
> You won't see me storming off in a huff, but I do do a fair bit of
> ignoring (although in this case my British reserve didn't win out...).

That may be the case while Brits are in Britain but when they travel
they tend to get a bit more mouthy and self absorbed. Perhaps that was
what Gwenhwyfaer was alluding to...

Maybe it's more noticible when you can understand the language being
spoken. Perhaps non english speakers have seen similar behaviour from
other non english speakers?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd